With a country as large as the United States, many that live there have not seen much of their own country. So, how do they or people from other countries decide where to visit? If a list of the top travel destinations in the U.S. will help you decide, then look no further. The top 10 travel destinations in the U.S. according to Forbes magazine are listed below. These were calculated based on number of people visiting.
1. New York City. The largest city in the United States is, no surprise here, the most visited. Times Square in the heart of the city is busy at nearly all times and offers everything from huge advertisements to Broadway shows. There is a reason they call New York, “the city that never sleeps.”
2. Las Vegas, Nevada. The Las Vegas Strip offers gambling, amazing shows, fine dining and all kinds of shopping. It is no wonder that this city in the desert is so very popular.
3. Washington, D.C. The nation’s capital offers visitors an opportunity to visit the Washington and Lincoln Memorials as well as the Vietnam War Veterans Memorial.
4. Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Boston, Massachusetts. This huge outdoor market has more than 100 stores and restaurants. Its historic cobblestone walkway and outdoor entertainment are big hits with visitors.
5. The Magic Kingdom at Disney World in Florida. This attraction has been a family favorite since it was first opened in 1971. For children and adults, this is really a place were dreams come true.
6. Disneyland in California. Again, Walt Disney knew how to attract a tourist. This original park is visited by millions each year and offers a great time to any age group.
7. Golden Gate National Recreation Area, San Francisco, California. This area that includes the Golden Gate Bridge and areas around the San Francisco Bay draws multitudes of visitors loving architecture, artistic culture, and fishing.
8. Niagara Falls, New York. This wonder of nature is visited by people from all over the world who wish to stand in awe of such a large expanse of moving water. The lights on the water at night are stunning.
9. Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee/North Carolina. The gorgeous leaves changing in the fall bring in a large amount of travelers to this area. Hiking, cabins, and small town charm abound in this area of the southeastern U.S.
10. Navy Pier, Chicago, Illinois. This pier on Lake Michigan offers amusement rides, shopping and restaurants. Its history as a military training site makes it even more interesting.